Friday, December 25, 2009

All is calm



It's Christmas morning. The kids will be storming down in a few minutes, but at this moment they're all asleep. The tree is lit. The fire's warm. The presents wrapped. The baking done.

It's the dark dawn of a new winter's day. It's their day. They are 4, 6 and 8 and it's Christmas morning. Does it get any better than that?


We're having a White Christmas here in Connecticut. We've been out in it every day. Our yard is a city of winter activity. Snowman, snow forts, quinzee hut, sled run. I stood in the woods at dusk the other night in the world turned white and watched the darkness come. I cannot express how beautiful it was, how it made my heart sing to be cold and alive at the darkest part of the year. The solstice. The best day of winter.

Merry Christmas. And peace in the New Year.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Pam, to you and your family. I hope that the day met your kids expectations and that in turn your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post :) I'm glad you all got a white Christmas! Those were (and still are!) my favorite growing up :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave thoughts, suggestions, advice or queries. I love comments!